Tuesday, August 11, 2009

An exercise in futility.

I want to write a long well-thought out post on all this healthcare hulabaloo but what's the point. The people who read this probably already agree with me and the complete lack of reason and intelligence on the other side of the coin is just..........it's fucking ridiculous. How the debate has even gotten this far, with people defending the "I'll just go into a meeting and shout some nonsense" as being an act of patriotism is just.......again, it's fucking ridiculous.

I tried to talk to my Mom about it when she was here visiting and I got a glimpse into what the "other side" is like. My mom isn't stupid but when I was talking to her about this, she was so woefully misinformed that we couldn't even discuss it. We had no point of reference to start from. She was also; 1) more upset than I've ever seen her about any current event and 2) she was fucking SCARED. I think that her fear is what the insurance companies are counting on.

It's exhausting. I feel like being rational and reasonable should be the de facto response during these kind of discussions, not shouting someone down and spreading complete lies and...shit.....it's fucking ridiculous.

3 comments:

Aubrey said...

Jason and I got into an argument about it the other day and I know for a fact that he doesn't even want to know about it. I know he's not a dumb guy but all he cares about or knows is that he doesn't want to pay for another persons healthcare. That's all. No actual reading of the proposals, no idea of what is going on. Just that.
I hate to act like the Daily Show is some beacon of journalism which compared to the likes of Glen Back, they are, but they made a really good point the other night about the Democrats not helping because they can't explain what's going on. And then you have Sarah Palin saying things that are just out right lies. I just want to curl up and cry.

Mels said...

Yea, we all probably agree with you. But at least it would be a nice point of reference the next time I have to deal with one of the uninformed...

Unknown said...

The uninformed, they're everywhere -- like dander, and germs, and the colonies of dust mites that inhabit your home -- and they're just as impossible to reason with as all of those things.

The fact that your mom is scared, Michael, makes me so angry. Not at your mom, of course, but at the Rush Limbaughs and the Sarah Palins and the other ultra-conservative lie-spewing nutjobs who feed off of her fear like parasites.